Thursday, May 7, 2009

Mother's Day: 'Do not lose your identity'

Motherhood was probably the best thing that could happen to me,’’ says television anchor Mini Mathur.


The mother of two says that it is a matter of knowing your priorities and the delegating the tasks. “It’s important for a mother be happy from within. She should have her own identity,’’ she says. Mathur, who gave birth to her daughter Sairah six months ago, was back shooting a few months later.

“I took a year off when I gave birth to Vivan six years ago. But this time I took a break of just four months.” Ever since I’ve had my kids, I have become more selective about the projects I take up. I would never take up something that would require me to shoot through the month,’’ she says.

Mathur ensures she spends quality time with her children. “I always give my work a hundred per cent. But before I leave, I ensure that everything is in place and my children will be well looked after in my absence. When I’m at home, however, I’m completely available to them.’’

The fact that her mother-in-law stays with her is also a great help, she says. “Besides, my husband and I coordinate our schedules in such a manner that one of us is always around for our children,’’ she said.
According to Mathur, women are gifted with the ability to multi-task. “With a little intelligent time management, we can juggle kids, a marriage, a home and a career.’’

Women who give up having babies in exchange for a fruitful career really miss out on an important aspect of life, feels Mathur. “All it needs is a little extra effort on your part,’’ she says.

“My son Vivan understands my need to work. He has never once complained when I leave for my shoots. In fact, he is thrilled that his mother appears on television.

“Although I have to preempt and pre-plan things to ensure everything’s in place in case of an emergency, it is worth it. Work takes on a new meaning when one’s personal life is in place,’’ she says.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/Mothers-Day-Do-not-lose-your-identity/articleshow/4497555.cms

No comments: