Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas Special: How Not to Cut Down a Christmas Tree

The festive holiday season is upon us. Streets and stores are decorated with festive holiday lights and ornaments. Homes across the world are decorated with strings of lights, ornaments, giant snow globes, lighted reindeer, Santa Claus and Christmas trees.

Christmas trees come in a number of forms these days. The live evergreen tree is the classic holiday favorite. There are trees to fit every taste, Frasier Fir, Balsam, Scotch Pine, long needles, short needles, tall, short, skinny, fat and even artificial trees in unnatural colors. There are all kinds of Christmas Trees. Cutting down a fresh tree at a tree farm has an old fashioned, romantic association.

Cutting down a Christmas tree at a tree farm can make a wonderful family outing, involving everyone in the choice of the tree and the of action bringing it home. Tree farms signify a type of commitment to the tree not found in a pre-cut tree lot, garden nurseries or at home stores.

This is the story about why cutting down your own Christmas Tree may not be for everybody.

We were newlyweds and our first married Christmas was fast approaching. I had told my husband that I would like to get a fresh cut tree for Christmas. I meant really fresh cut, the kind you cut down yourself. There was a tree farm a little over an hour's drive north of us. We agreed that it would be cool to drive up to the tree farm and cut down our own tree.

That is, I thought we agreed. What really happened is that my husband verbally agreed and then did exactly what he wanted to do, which did not include cutting down a Christmas Tree.

Mid December was upon us and still no tree. When I told my husband that if he didn't want to cut down a tree, I would go do it myself, he surprised me by saying okay. He supplied me with a small dull ax, and off I went on my Christmas Tree Adventure.

My route to the tree farm was not a straight one. A detour to visit a friend and a little wine delayed my arrival at the farm in the Kettle Moraine area of Wisconsin.The sunlight was dimming when I arrived at the tree farm. There was about a half hour to cut down a tree before closing. Boldly, I trekked through the forest of Christmas Trees, not at all concerned that I was l alone in a wooded area. A tree of the right size came into view, and I decided that was the tree for me. That is when I found out that cutting down a Christmas tree is not as easy as it looks. Especially when the ax is small and dull.

Cut it down, I did, in spite of the fact that it resisted my every cut. Then came the next part, actually getting the tree to the car. Now the light was really dim, it was cold, and I just wanted to get the tree in the trunk of the car and get home. The tree was heavier then it looked as I dragged it laboriously through the snow. Eventually I got it to the car. Anxiety set in, as sounds of people leaving and "Good Nights" filled the forest.

Somehow, I hoisted the tree, which was getting bigger and heavier by the second, into the car trunk. The trunk popped wide open with the fluffy tree inside so it had to be tide it down. I took a piece of heavy twine and started to loop it through the loop in the trunk, designed for just that. That is when things took a turn for the worse.

I stuck my finger into the hole to loop the twine. When I tried to pull out my finger, I could not. My finger was stuck in the trunk, with my hand held high in the air, above my head. It was now dark. I tugged and pulled and could not get my finger out of the trunk. I was alone in the tree section that I was in, could see no one, and they could not see me. It was now dark, but I had cleverly left my car's headlights on for light. With the setting of the sun, any warmth left in the day was gone. This would be a silly way to die. I was starting to feel trapped and fearful.

Didn't the staff patrol the grounds before leaving? It didn't seem so. I could still hear vehicles starting and people calling out "Good Night" to each other. The forest started to feel ever more deserted, and I was now cold and frightened.

Panicky, I now started calling out "Help, Help". My voice sounded very small in the dense forest, and I despaired that anyone would ever hear me calling.

Finally a man appeared with a flashlight. I explained my dilemma, and he scratched his head, puzzled. Just how do you get a finger out of a trunk? I was silently praying that his solution would not involve an Ax. He went to get help, and shortly three men appeared. As they approached, my finger magically came out the loop. So they never had to actually do anything, but it was comforting to know they would have tried.

They helped me tie the tree into the trunk, I thanked them and they walked away. I got into the car and turned the ignition switch and,....nothing. The battery was dead because I had cleverly left the lights on. One man was still visible and I called him. He had to get his truck and returned to give my battery a jump to start the car.

The prize still hadn't been paid for, so I drove to the barn. The staff gathered in the cozy barn, drinking hot cocoa. When I entered the barn I was greeted with hoots of laughter, 'Is this the lady who got her finger stuck in the trunk?" I smiled and put on a brave face, but didn't find it all that hilarious. Red faced and mortified, I paid for the tree and left.

On the long, cold, dark ride home, I never seemed to warm up. It was a miserable hour's drive.. I arrived home chilled and more then a little cranky.

My darling husband was good enough to get the tree from the car to our fifth floor apartment. There was an elevator, so his contribution was nothing compared to mine.

The next day, we put the Christmas Tree up. The tree was cantankerous to the end, resisting the tree stand, being difficult to put up. My husband straightened the tree as much as he could, looked at it critically, and said "The trunk is crooked." As you can imagine, I now wanted to throw the tree at him.

We made a decision, then and there, that for the rest of our married life, all Christmas Tree decisions would be up to him.

He skipped the romance of cutting down the trees himself and always purchased fresh trees at the local tree lot. Did I mention that having your husband go the tree lot to purchase a tree and bring it home is romantic?.

Enjoy the spirit of Xmas during the holiday season.

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year



http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/465915/how_not_to_cut_down_a_christmas_tree.html?page=3&cat=30

No comments: